The Party’s Racial Hypocrisy Continues
By Michael P. Tremoglie
Tea Time Blog
Listening to the opening statements by the Democrat Senators on the Senate Judiciary Committee during the confirmation of Judge Sonia Sotomayor, it seems that the only qualifications she brings to the court is her “compelling story,” that she is a the third woman to be nominated and that she is a Latina.
One by one, each of the Democrats mentioned these characteristics as the reasons why she should be appointed. Ms. Sotomayor mentioned them as well in her opening statement.
Yet, the “compelling story” of Clarence Thomas was not considered an attribute by Democrats. In fact, Justice Thomas was the victim of the most reprehensible character assassination of all time. It exceeded the smear campaign conducted by Democrats and the liberal media against Robert Bork.
Furthermore, Alberto Gonzalez’ and Miguel Estrada’s Hispanic heritage was not considered an asset by Democrats when they were nominated for offices by President Bush. Indeed, Democrats were panicked that they had been nominated because they did not want Republicans to groom one of them for the Supreme Court.
Despite all this Democrats now want race and humble origins to be qualifications for their nominee when they were not for Republicans.
Worst of all, Democrats bray Republicans are questioning Sotomayor’s apparent racism. It is the supreme irony that the Democrats are proclaiming that race should not be an issue with the Sotomayor appointment. It is ironic that they are trying to minimize her role in the Ricci case.
The only reason Sotomayor was nominated was because of her race. Race is part and parcel and an integral part of Democratic Party politics. They pander to races and ethnic groups to get votes. They slander anyone who disagrees with them as a racist.
Predictably, Democrats have played the race card against Sen. Sessions, the ranking Republican on the Judiciary committee. They are calling him a racist because he once said that the NAACP was a communist inspired organization (FDR once said something similar about black newspapers).
Why a comment by Jeff Sessions about the NAACP being communist is racist, yet Sonia Sotomayor’s comments about Latina’s being superior to white males defies reason.
If Sonia Sotomayor is a racist she would not be the first Democrat to be such. The party has a history of harboring racists.
The fact is the Democratic Party was the party that defended segregation and slavery always uses the racism smear (along with sexism). As much as they try to hide this they cannot.
Perhaps the preeminent expert on the Democrats’ racist history is Frances Rice of the National Black Republican Association. This African-American woman was a Lieutenant Colonel in the military. She co-founded the National Black Republican Association (NBRA) in 2005 to call attention to the bonds between African-Americans and Republican Party.
She wrote an essay titled the Democratic Party Owes Blacks an Apology. She notes:
· The Democratic Party enacted fugitive slave laws to keep blacks from escaping from plantations; instigated the 1856 “Dred Scott v. Standford” decision which legally classified blacks as property; passed the Missouri Compromise to spread slavery into 50% of the new Northern states; and passed the Kansas-Nebraska Act designed to spread slavery into all of the new states.
· Southern Democrats passed discriminatory Black Codes in 1865 to suppress, restrict, and deny blacks the same privileges as whites.
· In 1866, the Ku Klux Klan was started by Democrats to lynch and terrorize Republicans, black and white, and the Ku Klux Klan became the terrorist arm of the Democratic Party
· Democrats passed discriminatory Jim Crow Laws in 1875 ( Republicans passed the 1875 Civil Rights Act
· The so-called “Dixiecrats” remained Democrats and did not migrate to the Republican Party
· the Democratic Party supported the Topeka, Kansas school board in
the 1954 “Brown v. Topeka Board of Education
· Roosevelt banned black American newspapers from the military because he was convinced the newspapers were communists. (What was that about Sessions?)
· It was the Democrats who tried to prevent the Civil Rights Acts of the 20th century from passage.
Meanwhile Republicans, who routinely labeled as racist, have the exact opposite history. Even now the trend in academia and political circles is to tar Republicans as racist. Yet this myth has been debunked.
An authority on the Republican Party’s racial history is University of Virginia political science professor Gerard Alexander. He wrote a 2004 book review titled The Myth of the Racist Republicans.
Mr. Alexander wrote “…the GOP finally became the region's dominant party in the least racist phase of the South's entire history, and it got that way by attracting most of its votes from the region's growing and confident communities—not its declining and fearful ones. The myth's shrillest proponents are as reluctant to admit this as they are to concede that most Republicans genuinely believe that a color-blind society lies down the road of individual choice and dynamic change, not down the road of state regulation and unequal treatment before the law. The truly tenacious prejudices here are the mythmakers.”
Maybe this is why the Democrats are so obsessed with race. They have a more than 200 year history of slavery, racism and segregation for which to atone.
Mike can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org